Winter is finally coming. You have waited patiently for the snow to start falling and if you are like us, you have begun counting down the days to get back on your skis or snowboard. Before you race to the hills, ask yourself is your gear really ready for the upcoming season? No question the slopes take a toll on your gear, and without the proper maintenance and safety checks you could really be putting yourself at risk. So, let’s do a quick safety check to make sure your gear is ready for what we hope will be an epic ski season.
Skis and Bindings
- ·Inspect your skis one at time. Check the base and look for excessive scratches, scuff marks and other damage. If your skis don’t look shiny and don’t feel smooth to the touch, it is time for a new coat of wax.
- The edges of your skis can take a beating during the season so it is very important that they stay in great condition. Inspect the edges for bumps, chips or other damage. If the edges do not feel smooth,consider bringing them in to us for a tune up
- ·You’ll also want to make sure that the tips of your skis are still laminated, and if they are not-- this is an issue you will want to have repaired right away.
- When it comes to your bindings we recommend they be professionally tested at the start of each season regardless of how they look or feel. To maintain a safe level of operation it is important to have each binding tested on the equipment of a professional workshop. Use, age and other factors can change the internal workings of your bindings, potentially compromising their safety and release points. Our equipment simulates stresses and environmental factors that are impossible for a visual inspection to reveal.Our certified testers will dial in your bindings to precise settings in order to maintain their optimal level of performance for all factors including your age, weight and ability level.
Snowboards and bindings
- Do a visual inspection of your board. Start off by examining the bottom of the board and look for any major dents or scratches. If you do notice anything out of the ordinary, you will want to have the bottom of your board resurfaced by a professional. These dents and scratches will impact your speed and performance, so this is something you will want to have repaired before hitting the slopes.
- Did you wax and tune your board before storing it for the season? Tuning your board will help you perform better and can drastically improve how you ride. If you are unfamiliar with how to wax your board-- we would be more than glad to handle that for you.
- Time to check those snowboard bindings. Make sure they still provide that nice and tight feel. Check them for any cracks or breaks. If your straps or ratchets are starting to wear down-- consider replacing them. Also, be sure to tighten all screws that are being used to hold the bindings in place.
Step into your boots to see if you still get that tight and snug feel. Are you noticing that the inner liner has begun to deteriorate and your boots just don’t feel as tight as they once did? No question about it, to perform well on the hill – you need a pair of boots that fit perfectly. A bad fitting boot will lead to a decrease in performance. So instead of getting on the mountain with a pair of old boots that don’t provide the support you need –consider replacing those with a pair of brand new boots
Safety should always come first on the slopes and this is why we at Buckman’s always recommend wearing a helmet. How old is your current helmet? Since the foam and plastics inside the ski helmets can become less effective with age it is critical that you replace your helmet every 3-5 years. Inspect your helmet for any damage -- especially if you took a big spill last season.
Did you have trouble last season with your goggles fogging on the hill? Are your lenses scratched and affecting your visibility? If, so it may be time to replace your goggles. Your goggles should provide you with a snug fit and provide you with adequate ventilation to help keep you on the hill all day long.
Keeping your ski and snowboard gear in tip top shape is essential. So, go ahead and dig out your gear and start getting it ready for the upcoming ski season. At all of our Buckman's Ski and Snowboard Shop retail locations, we offer access to a variety of workshop services. Whether you need a sharpen and wax, a binding mount, a complete tune-up, or a binding adjustment, we have the staff and equipment to take care of you! So don’t stress about getting your gear ready, we have your back!
See you on the slopes!
Tagged:ski, snowboard, ski and snowboard equipment